Monday, November 28, 2011

Wes gone again

Wes got a phone call on November 15 that his brother needed him to come to Iowa to record music. Apparently, Wes is the best slide guitarist that his brother can find. He left a few hours later. He needed to leave immediately so they could practice the songs. It is good thing I have become patient with Wes' last minute spontaneity. :) They recorded 5 songs at a studio in Omaha, NE on November 19. Their next studio time is December 10 (I will let you do the math on how far that is away).

At this time in our lives we cannot afford for him to travel back and forth from Iowa so he stayed there for Thanksgiving. Also, the girls and I stayed in Columbia for Thanksgiving since it would be too expensive for us to go to Iowa. Our suburban is too expensive. We celebrated Thanksgiving with my family the Sunday before Thanksgiving at my parents house. For Thanksgiving day my parents invited us to join them at Golden Corral. We had never gone to Golden Corral for Thanksgiving. It was actually only the third time in 9 years that I had even eaten there. I was amazed at how many people were there. Their parking lot was full so we had to park in a lot across the field. We waited for 30 minutes in a line that went out the door and two rows back in the parking lot. Crazy.

I will probably not see Wes until around Christmas. Rebekah told me last night she missed Wes really, really, really, really, really, really, really a lot. She said she wanted a daddy hug and kiss. Break my heart. This summer our dog Rosie (Weimaraner) stayed with Wes but this time she has stayed with us. Almost two weeks later Rosie is still looking for Wes. Anna misses Wes but understands why he needs to be gone. She also has had a hard time with Wes depression over the last few years. She wants him to be happy.

I pray and hope that Wes and Scott (friend in Columbia) can find a drummer and bassist for their band. It is fun for Wes to play with his brother but Wes needs his own band. They need people who are committed to playing. I hope Wes and Scott can find venues in our area. It would be very nice if he could get paid to do what he loves. It is fun for Wes to play with his brother but it is not good long term. Iowa is not a good place for Wes long term.

3 comments:

Tina said...

You sound like a military family--at least the separation part. Lucy goes nuts when James comes home from the desert! I think that she might wag her tail clean off! LOL

Tina said...

BTW, do you skype with him? I know military wives that say skype has been great for the kids!

Melissa said...

We might try skype.